Thursday, May 24, 2007
I was in a hurry to complete this doll so I drew the pattern cut it and stitched it. It is first time ever I have done the stitching on good fabric straight away without testing the pattern. The body turned out ok, but the head proved to be something else. After a long time I used Doe suede to make some of the parts because the doll is a slim small sized doll. So the head was going to be small hence I decided to use the synthetic fabric which I don't normally like using. Anyway the first head came out too small. The second one I thought was ok but when I stitched it on the doll eeeks!! where has the chin gone? So off came the head and back to the drawing board. Some doll artists I know like to have the fuzzy side of the fabric out but not me as I hate painting the fuzzy side. This is another thing I don't like about this fabric is I keep making the mistake of stitching the fuzzy side out. So even though the head looked ok I didn't want to use it because I had stitched it fuzzy side out hummmm... So out it went in the bin. Final head at last and completed doll. I am still not completely satisfied with her but she will have to do as she is going away soon to surprise someone. She is about 12 inches but a very slim doll. So I made her so that she can be hung instead of sitting or standing. Now I have to get on with my other projects which need urgent attention. Then I will be away for a week in Florence and Rome. Can't wait to get away. But I think I am going to be very disappointed as we are not able to get any tickets for Galleria Uffizi. Oh I so want to see that so much sigh. Going to Florence and not being able to see it will be aweful.