"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way-things I had no words for." ~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Snip snip snip

This is how the final embroidery looks. I did it all without a pattern as you will notice every thing is not symertrical. Went a bit crazy and did it on the top of the skirt too forgetting that a lot of it will be hidden by embellishments.

I am not too pleased with the underskirt skirt. I thought it looked awful. 
So panic stations! What shall I do change the whole thing? Use a different fabric? Oh my goodness have to dye the whole lot again! Cupboards open in a mad dash to find the right fabric!

Oh no don't have enough fabric can't find something suitable this one won't do. Do I have to order more? It will take ages to come!

So finally I went snip snip snip so now it looks a bit better but I still don't like it too much but I cannot change it now it's too late for that .

She is looking completely different to the way I wanted sigh!

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Simple embroidery

Angela suggested doing some simple embroidery on the skirt and I think what she has done is so beautiful and affective. This is what I started. Not much of a photo and I am so rusty with regards embroidery that even these simple stitches look as though a child has done it!. It must be at least 40 or more years since I picked up a needle to embroider. The last I remember doing was when I was at school where it was compulsory for us to learn a few needle work, sewing, knitting skills.  The idea is to do some simple stitching. Since I can do this sitting on the bed I quiet enjoyed it. I have to find some thread for the flowers now as I could not find the right colour in the charity shop. By the way charity  shops are a great place to shop for craft projects. You never know when you will come across something that is so right for your project.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

More flowers

This year it has been a great year for roses here. Even this shrub I didn't know was there flowered"

There has been flowers galore and buds too. We will see how long all this lasts

Thank you for visiting and enjoy the flowers in my garden

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Dyeing fabrics

I wanted to finish my doll this weekend but on Friday I did my back in so could not do much as I found sitting up very painful. However I did manage to dye some fabrics for the doll. Nothing strenuous I used some of the shavings from the inktense pencils since I did not want to waste the colour and it is amazing how much of colour gets shaved off while sharpening pencils as you can see. So I managed to dye some cheesecloth with this water.
I wet the lace and gently ran the pencil over it to colour the lace. So this is what I have been doing while resting my back
Hope you all had a creative and restful weekend

Monday, June 08, 2015


Today I got my doll's stockings ready. Since I did not have any suitable fabrics for the stockings I decided to make my own designed fabric for her. I bought some plain white knitted fabric and made up the design on it with Inktense pencils. I drew horizontal lines on the fabric with inktense pencils , lightly coloured the inbetween space between the lines and then spread it all with water and let it dry before sewing onto the doll. The design has lots of blemishes and is uneven colouring  but I thought that was ok as it adds to the whimsical look. I wanted to try out these pencils and this was a perfect opportunity to try them out on cloth.

So here she is wearing her stockings and as you can see I went with the green

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Getting there

I have been working on Angela Jereski's class doll. At last I am getting there I feel. It took me a long time to sculpt the head but finally I got it done and it is passable I think. I also started another head but I can already see lots of things that are not right. 
This doll as you can see is a fairy with her skinny legs and strange ears. 

Here are some of the fabrics I brought out to choose. At present I am only checking what colours I will use. They all are silk with a beautiful sheen to them which does not come out very well in the pictures.
I am leaning towards the light green and gold but I shall see. First I need to do the stockings which is going to be challenging as well because I don't have any suitable knitted fabrics that I can use. I got some plain white knitted fabric which I am hoping to dye.

Today I finished attaching the head. Now have to leave it till tomorrow for drying. Waiting is the hardest thing to do.
 Inspiration for the pose came from this book


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...